Monday, December 3, 2012

Week 5: The Other Side


After a couple of weeks playing as a survivor in DayZ I decided to become a friendly survivor. This meant more interaction with players with the intention to help them as needed, rather than killing them. I spent my time picking players up and driving them around each map as a taxi service.
Other times I would bandage them, give them a blood transfusion, or fix their broken legs. I would help new survivors learn the map. Let them understand where they need to go. In the end I would help gear them up and send them on their way with a vehicle. Normally my general attitude as a survivor is to steer clear of other players or kill them if necessary. Now by interacting with them I made friends and went on a great adventure.
During my travels on the map  Panthera, I met with a couple of players who were friendly. We were talking and helping one another and eventually began to trust each other. As the day progressed we picked up new gear, new weapons, and new vehicles. Our group grew from three people to twelve people. All of us working together on one server for the benefit of the entire group. At one point we even had three helicopters which enabled us to scour the entire
map. It did not last though as our group was soon the target of the many bandits that had joined the server. There were many casualties as our time together progressed. We remained vigilant and continued our fun together. As players logged off or died our group dwindled down. This eventually led to the original group of three that we had started with. Once it was all over we were up eight hours of gameplay, great stories from Panthera, and one helicopter.

I found that as a friendly player there is still a large amount of gameplay that can be entertaining. While there is not much killing compared to a bandit the interactions with other players is still fundamental to survival. Each player has a story to tell from their perspective. The only difference is, will you be ending their story or taking part in it?











No comments:

Post a Comment